Monday, December 13, 2010

Diving in Victoria

I'm reading this book called Down Under by Bill Bryson.  I would recommend it to anyone coming to Australia, living in Australia, been to Australia, or just has a curious nature about Australian culture.  Bryson is from small town America and lived in London for awhile, which I think is why his way of describing things is right on and hilarious.  Its exactly how I would describe things, just written a hell of a lot better and funnier.

I tell you this because Bill Bryson devotes a lot of time in the book to a infamously tragic accident when the Prime Minister of Australia in the 1960's, Harold Holt, went for a swim in south Victoria and disappeared.  Never to be seen again.  Presumably he drowned and was eaten up by sharks and shit, but there's a ton of conspiracy theories floating around (get it...floating around...hehehe).  They built a monument to him in Melbourne....a swimming pool.

This pic is strange, but it shows what I want to show.  Where Harold Holt went swimming that day was near the Rip, or the Heads, which is a very small inlet (only a couple hundred meters) into Port Phillip Bay which Melbourne sits atop of.  The Mornington Peninsula is a get away area for Melburnians, and I can understand why. All of South Victoria has become my favorite part of Australia <3.  Anyways, the Rip is notorious for capsizing boats, its one of the most dangerous waterways in the world.  Guess where we went diving? 



Ok, we did NOT dive in the Rip.  Not possible.  We did do some diving in the bay and outside the bay, requiring us to drive through the Heads, which was scary enough in my opinion.  In fact, as we came in from our last dive out, we heard an emergency call on the radio for a capsized boat near the Rip!  When we docked another call came through that someone was signaling that there were people trapped in the vessel and they had to send out rescue recovery teams.  I just googled it to see if there was more information, but no luck. But how scary is that!  I'm just glad we were on our last dive, not sure I would've gone back out after hearing that.  Macca said it was a calm day for the heads when we went through, but my arms are sore and I have blisters on the hands from white-knuckling the bar so I didn't go flying out of the boat.  It was well worth it though, cuz the diving was awesome!

Macca took some awesome pics underwater.  I don't know what these are, maybe a nudie branch?  (seriously that's what they're called)


We followed some little squiddies around for awhile.  They were just squid, but smaller than I would expect squid to be and cute, so I call them little squiddies :)

A Gobi sticking out of coral 


We did a pier dive and fish count the third day.  You literally dive around and count how many fish you see.  I found it rather uninteresting except for this guy!  Weedy seadragons were everywhere.  Very cool.

I'm a diver, and you can't see my arms flailing!  Its really hard not to use your arms when you're diving, but they're useless, lol.

 Blue Devil Fish



We saw a shark!  Thankfully MC Hammer is the only shark we saw.
 The last dive we did was my favorite.  Mostly because I am disproportionately proud of myself for diving without a more experienced guide with me.  I had to pay attention to the computers to make sure I wasn't going to deep, and I guided the other two people I was partnered with around.  And I managed the accent with a very good safety stop at 5meters!  I actually felt like I knew what I was doing, pretty much for the first time.  It changed the whole experience :)

This is my fav pic form all our dives-fluorescent orange starfish in macro!

2 comments:

  1. OMG! You saw a shark! That's freakin awesome! I love the pics! It's bittersweet that you are leaving in less than a month! I can't wait to see you or just pick up the phone and be able to call you but I'll miss the awesomeness of this blog and all the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been posting very much on here...there will be months of back log blogging ahead of me :)

    ReplyDelete